December 23, 2008

hokkien for dummies

bro came in and put some box thingy on my table. then i realized, it was an external HDD!!! FINALLY!! koko bought my external hard disk even though we had an argument about it before his KL trip for the comic fiesta.. aint branded but he got a 160GB one with a protective cover for RM190.. ok laa... as long as it serves its' purpose of storing all my garbage.. haha.. well, there goes my RM100.. yea, i finally succeeded in forcing extorting asking my stingy bro to at least sponsor half the price of the HDD.. hmm.. i wonder who can be my next target to sponsor me a Celcom Broadband... tee hee hee...

talk about getting stuff, was at Gurney this evening to hunt for more shoes.. and hopefully able to grab cheap stuff.. but instead, i found myself stuck at the watches department of Parkson.. ogling and salivating at the display glass of the DKNY and Fossil watches.. serious... i was sOooo attracted to 'em.. cos it's really high time for me to get a new watch!! thankfully i didnt embarrass myself cos dear sharon was there, so i took the opportunity to give her some work and tried on a few watches.. =) best thing is, she told me that i can purchase the watches at staff price, which means.. 50% discount!!! whee!!!!! there were some which i really really like.. but most of them were a little to big for my wrist even after the detachable part of the strap was taken off.. sigh.. then we decided to have a look at the other watches at the main Fossil shop itself.. i found one which is not bad and wear-able for any occasion.. BUT.. even with the 50% off, i still don't have the money.. i'm really really tight on cash. and i've got a tonne of things i need to get as well.. sigh.. some other time?

btw, i learned a new hokkien word/phrase today!! it probably isnt something new for most of the penangnites/hokkien ppl..

So, the magic 'word-of-the-day' is.. *drum roll please*

*
*
"tien bok keng"
*
*

which means, rice cooker... (dun gimme that look kay...) bare with me, i suck at that language.. haha it sounds funny.. or maybe cos i cant pronounce it correctly.. still, i find that word really amusing and have been using it at every opportunity there is.. for example,

mum : where did you go?
me : i went over to SEC to get the "tien bok keng" (but comes home empty handed)
mum : so, did you buy the rice cooker?
me : i didnt buy the "tien bok keng" cos the salesman said that ... blah blah blah.. so there wont be any new "tien bok keng" in the shop until tomorrow when their lorry comes. so i will have to go over to SEC again tomorrow to buy my "tien bok keng"!
dad : buy what?
me : "tien bok keng"!
dad : what?
mum : rice cooker.

it sounds like some room or something cos if i'm not wrong, the bedroom is called "pang keng" and the toilet is called "chang keng/chai keng" in hokkien, so what makes the "tien bok keng"? LOL.. farney..
it's gonna be my BIG word from now, like...
  • oh SHIT! "TIEN BOK KENG"!
  • shit "tien bok keng" la......
  • OMG Oh my "tien bok keng"!
hahahaaahahahaaahahaaahahahaaaahahahaaa!!!
i know i'm silly..

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home